Sowell was like a skilled chef, everything cooked to perfection, seasoned beautifully, and something for every palette. If you can’t enjoy it, it’s because you choose to hate great food, and you probably prefer Kale chips to potato chips, and would somehow enjoy eating bread made from sawdust. There is a multitude of fascinating takeaways, and Sowell takes us back through history to show that “black culture” is really Scottish clan culture. He makes a compelling defense of why America isn’t an inherently racist country, and explains why the Founders weren’t perpetuating racism by not ending slavery at our founding. Contrary to the statue smashers over in Portland, the Founders laid the groundwork for ending slavery.
Perhaps the most poignant point which Sowell makes is that while every ethnicity has at one time been enslaved, and in turn enslaved others, it was only in the West that this temptation to enslave our fellow man was overcome. It was the cause of liberty which ensured the eventual end of slavery not only in the West but (almost) throughout the whole world. Ironically, it is in places where Western values are not predominant that slavery still exists (I would assert it would be more accurate to say Christian ethics). However, current narratives regarding race/slavery would have us believe that America’s founders simply perpetuated/entrenched slavery, rather than planting the seeds of liberty which would grow the fruit of abolition of the institution of slavery. This book is a potent antidote to the woke-sorcery which has beguiled our universities, press, and culture.
Other Book Reviews
- A Selection of my 2023 Reading
- 1 Minute Book Review (Episode 07)| Blood Will Out by Walter Kirn
- 1 Minute Book Review (Episode 06) | The Psychology of Totalitarianism by Mattias Desmet
- 1 Minute Book Review (Episode 05) | A Church in the House by Matthew Henry
- Book Review: “False Alarm” by Bjorn Lomborg
- Book Review: “Hillbilly Elegy” by JD Vance
- Book Review – “The Rise & Triumph of the Modern Self” by Carl Trueman
- Book Review – “How Football Explains America” by Sal Paolantonio
- Book Review: “Black Rednecks & White Liberals” by Thomas Sowell